TRADERS COUNT LOSSES AS FIRE RAZED SOME SECTIONS OF MARIAN MARKET

BY Asuquo Cletus

A section of the popular Marian market in Calabar, Cross River State was gutted by fire on Friday evening. Information available to genuinereports indicates that the fire was caused by electrical faults emanating from one of the affected shops.

It was gathered from some eye witness and traders that shops, storage facilities and cash worth millions of naira were lost to the inferno.

Goods in the shops affected include clothing, electrical appliances, fruits, food items amongst others.

The cause of the fire is said to have begun from an electrical faults from one of the water melon shops.

Speaking with journalist,
Ayim Princewill, the Director General of the Cross River State Emergency Management agency stated that the agency responded to the distress call from the traders saying “As the first responder, we got calls from the 112 toll free number we gave out with the NCC. When we got the call that they was a fire outbreak in the market, we had to rush in with our team to see, but it was difficult to call the fire service to come and assist, you know it takes time. So before they could come in, individuals assisted and some properties were already lost.”

He added that they came to see areas the government can be of help saying “As government we came in to sympathize with them to see how we can assist”.

He attributed the cause of the fire to electrical fault from one of the shops saying ” The preservation methods used to preserve water melon is bad so the fire started from there and burnt all the affected shops”.

According to him, Government will do all they can to assist in their little way.

Also a trader who prefer anonymity spoke in pidgin saying “This kind fire seff I no Sabi if na to cry or not, I comot for shop, everything just dey confuse me, Bros na this kind thing dey make person go commit sucide.
I collect loan run this business how I go pay back now.” He recounted with tears running down his chin.

Another trader who identified himself as Emmanuel expressed dissatisfaction saying “It very unfortunate that one will close his shop, go home only to come and see this. Please help us and beg the government to assist us , please because it very painful look at my shop everything has burnt down”.

As at the time of filling this report the fire had been put off and no life was lost.

About genuinereportsng

A versatile content developer, news reporter, OAP and an Educationalist.

View all posts by genuinereportsng →

Leave a Reply