BY: Obeten Godfrey
The 6th legislative council of Yakurr LGA of Cross River state has been inaugurated.
The inauguration ceremony took place yesterday at the legislative hall of the Yakurr LG council in Ugep.
The inauguration was conducted by the Clark of the House; Mr. Thomas Edobecho, and ushered in Hon. Mbang Eteng, member representing Nkpolo/Ukpawen Ward as Leader of the house, while Hon Arikpo Mbeh, representing Idomi Council Ward emerged as Deputy Leader.
The inauguration which held simultaneously accros the eighteen local government areas of the state, is coming five years after the Governor Ben Ayade led administration took over office in 2015.
Recall that, the Cross River State Independent Electoral Commission, (CROSSIEC) had on May, 30, conducted the local government elections in the state, wherein the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) recorded a landslide victory across the eighteen local government areas of the state.
And, in his opening remarks, the Chairman of Yakurr Local Government Council, Hon. Ebri Ofem Obeten congratulated the newly inaugurated councillors and urged them to put in their best for the development of the council and that of their respective wards.
He charged the 6th Legislature to maintain a good working relationship and cooperate with the executive arm of government in the council in order to engender effective representation to the people.
Presiding shortly after the inauguration, the Leader of the House, Hon. Mbang Eteng, expressed gratitude to God Almighty, and to the leadership of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in Yakurr, for endorsing his candidature and for their unflinching support during and after the elections.
Eteng promised to be committed to duty, and work in accordance with the provisions of the Cross River State local government laws as amended 2014, to deliver on his primary responsibility alongside his colleagues in making developmental policies for the betterment of the Yakurr people.
Notable personalities who graced the occasion include, the Obol Lopon of Ugep and Paramount Ruler of Yakurr local government, HRM Obol Ofem Ubana Eteng, the Chairman of the Cross River State Water Board Limited, Dr. Godwin Igile,
Vice chairman of the council, Mrs. Maria Obeten.
Others are Chapter chairman of the PDP in Yakurr; Mr. David Okpebri, Secretary of the party; Mr. Ibiang Onen Ubi, Special Assistant to the Governor on Special Duties; Hon. Fidelis Obeten and a host of others.
Below are the newly inaugurated Councillors:
1. Usang Eteng Mbang – Nkpolo/Ukpawen Council Ward in Nko – Leader
2. Eze Arikpo Mbeh – Idomi Council Ward, Deputy Leader
3. Okoi Clement Eyong – Ijiman Council Ward, Ugep
4. Godwin Thomas Eko – Assiga Council Ward
5. John Ojah Omini – Biko Biko Council Ward, Ugep
6. Bassey Bassey Uket – Mkpani/Agoi Council Ward
7. Mbang Timothy Ufala – Inyima Council Ward
8. Obeten Otu Ibor – Ikpakapit Council Ward, Ugep
9. Offor James Omini – Ajere Council Ward, Ekori
10. Mimbala Otabe Leko (Mrs) – Abanankpai Council Ward, Nko
11. Usang Usang Effiom – Afrekpe/Epenti Council Ward
12. Josephine Okon Ubi (Mrs) – Ijom Council Ward, Ugep
13. Osim Thankgod Omini – Ntan Council Ward, Ekori